Outdoor Writers Association of America Inc. (OWAA) sponsors a Bodie McDowell Scholarship program for tomorrow’s communicators.
‣ OWAA is interested in rewarding outstanding undergraduate and graduate students who are working toward careers in outdoor writing, radio and television, wildlife photography, art, lecturing or video and film making.
‣ Ideal candidates are talented communicators with outdoor interests who want to become professionals in the outdoor communications field.
‣ Judges look for applicants with talent, promise and firsthand outdoor knowledge. Applications are rated on clarity, organization and originality.
‣ Grade-point average is also considered. Many past scholarship winners have become well-known professionals, including the first recipient who became an OWAA president.
‣ Scholarship awardees receive a complimentary one-year student membership in OWAA.
School(Institutions/ Country): | USA
Level: Undergraduate (entering junior or senior year) or Graduate Students.
Field(s): OWAA is interested in rewarding outstanding undergraduate and graduate students who are working toward careers in outdoor communications fields including print, photography, film, art, video and film making.
Deadline: April 1, 2016
‣ The Bodie McDowell Scholarship is open to qualified undergraduate (junior and senior) or graduate students.
‣ The scholarship program is open to all college students, undergraduate and graduate, from all disciplines and all schools.
‣ Bodie McDowell Scholarships are awarded in both graduate and undergraduate categories.
‣ There is no limit to the number of candidates that can apply from one college or university.
‣ Each candidate should have a career goal in outdoor communications, demonstrated by submission to OWAA of printed, film or taped material, job history, course orientation or other evidence of good faith.
‣ Outdoor communication broadly includes print, film and tape media, as well as outdoor art.
‣ Career goals in outdoor communications, examples of work and letters of recommendation.
‣ Academic achievement is considered but is not among the top three selection criteria.
Scholarship Application Method
‣ Applicants should apply by post.
The application must include:
a) OWAA application form properly completed.
b) Recommendation from a participating faculty advisor
c) Grade transcript.
d) Examples of outdoor communication work. Important:
e) A one- to two-page statement by the nominee that details career goals.
f) Optional letters of recommendation from outdoor communicators or employers familiar with applicant’s work.
‣ Scholarship Applications are due on 1 April 2016
‣ Application forms and guidelines can be download from the official website
‣ It is important to read the application procedure, and visit the official websites (link found below) for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.